I’m going to be honest I’ve always have been a little skeptical of intermittent fasting. Why? Because I’m like every other southerner that believes people should eat and not skip their meals! But, there are some time’s that I believe fasting is a necessary. And after going through a bit of stuff lately it was brought to me that I needed to fast. So, that’s what I’m doing!
What is Intermittent Fasting?
Intermittent fasting is an eating pattern where you cycle between periods of eating and fasting. I know it sounds insane, right? Why would anyone want to do this? Well there have been LOTS of studies conducted that have proven the effects of intermittent fasting. Some of those include – a boost in weight loss, increase in energy, lowers blood cholesterol as well as others.
Types of Intermittent Fasting
There are actually a couple of different ways that you can complete intermittent fasting. Many don’t know this. The most popular or known way way is to do the 16:8 method. Which basically means that you don’t eat foods that contain calories for 16 hours and then you have an 8 hour window where you can eat. Another method that you can do is the 5:2 method. This method is not as popular as the 16:8, but is still just as effective for you. With this method you get to fast for 2 days during the week where you don’t eat and the other 5 days you are able to consume calories.
Why I decided to Fast
Well, I had been faced with a big decision lately, but I told myself that I didn’t want to make too hasty of a decision. I also, wanted to make sure that the decision that I was going to make would be the best one for me. So, after praying on the situation I was told I need to fast. I chose to give up food because that is honestly one of the hardest things for me to give up, so why not take on this challenge? When you’re fasting you can give up whatever you like- maybe it’s social media, maybe it’s television, or whatever you choose. Choose something that works for you.
Things that will break your intermittent (food) fast
- any foods with calories including:
- candy, gum, cupcakes, etc.
Things that will make your fast better
- Drink lots of water
- Black Tea! (is a proven way to curb your appetite)
- Black coffee ( no Splenda or cream)
- Praying while you’re fasting (Fasting is hard. Believing in yourself that you can complete this fast is going to do wonders for your mental)
- Holding yourself accountable! There are temptations all around. But, when you make the decision to fast you’re making the decision to make a change. So, why would you hold yourself back from accomplishing your goal by messing up your fast?
- Download “ZERO” from the Apple store or Google Play store. It’s a fasting app that allows you to track your fasting hours. Use this app this week to help hold yourself accountable!
So for my fast, I invite you all to participate with me! I will be documenting my experiences all week with this intermittent fasting via snapchat, instagram or Facebook. For my fast I will only be consuming water and herbal tea during my fasting hours. During my hours where I can eat which for me will be (12-8 pm) I’ll stick to my normal kind of meals – high in protein, low carb meals. Nothing else with my schedule will change. I’m still going to workout everyday as I normally would.
Feel free to share how your fasting journey goes this week in the comments below or reach out to me personally via email or any of my social media outlets!